Ride the Red Cars – Urban Archeology Field Trip

More adventures seeking out “what was” of the Pacific Electric’s Northern and Eastern Districts and riding the Red and Yellow Cars.

Saturday – October 26, 2013
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Includes:
Lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory
Parking METRO Garage
Chartered Motorcoach
Admission to OERM

On Saturday the 26th of October, LARHF has planned another one of its “Urban Archeology” Field Trips with a major added attraction of riding the Big Red cars and a LARY streetcar at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum (OERM) in Perris, California. Ralph Cantos will once again be our guide.

The Field Trip will leave promptly at 8:30 a.m. from the Los Angeles Union Station East Portal Bus Plaza. Boarding a deluxe motorcoach, we will follow as closely as possible the Pacific Electric lines of its Northern and Eastern Districts out to San Bernardino and Riverside.

Outbound from Los Angeles we will pass where the Valley Junction was that sent the PE cars either to Pasadena or to San Bernardino.

At Valley Junction (3.31 miles from the PE Terminal at 6th and Main Streets) the San Bernardino Line continued to the right on double track through El Monte, Baldwin Park and Vineland to Covina and on to San Bernardino 57.78 miles from downtown Los Angeles.

At Valley Junction (3.31 miles from the PE Terminal at 6th and Main Streets) the San Bernardino Line continued to the right on double track through El Monte, Baldwin Park and Vineland to Covina and on to San Bernardino 57.78 miles from downtown Los Angeles.

For several miles, the San Bernardino Freeway parallels what was the PE San Bernardino line. Our first stop will be at the shell of the once PE Vineland Substation in Baldwin Park.

Substantial brick construction preserved the Vineland Substation in Baldwin Park. Power was purchased from the Southern California Edison Company. The San Bernardino Line was energized with 1200 volts except for areas where cars operated on 600 volts.

Substantial brick construction preserved the Vineland Substation in Baldwin Park. Power was purchased from the Southern California Edison Company. The San Bernardino Line was energized with 1200 volts except for areas where cars operated on 600 volts.

From Baldwin Park our tour stops at the Etiwanda, Fontana, and the Rialto PE depot building, each of the depots in a varied state of “what was.” A detour will also take us up to San Antonio Heights to see the old Stone Castle which from 1887 until 1895 was the top of the San Antonio Heights Line from Ontario. It used a mule car to transport passengers up the steep Euclid Avenue hill.

The Etiwanda PE Station was a concrete structure built in 1913 for $7,000.

The Etiwanda PE Station was a concrete structure built in 1913 for $7,000.

Fontana’s PE Station today is an art school. Surrounding the building are rose gardens.

Fontana’s PE Station today is an art school. Surrounding the building are rose gardens.

Other sights along the way will also be seen before lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory in Riverside and the location of one of LARHF’s “satellite” displays. Following lunch, the afternoon will be spent touring and riding the most popular PE cars and beautifully restored LARY “yellow” car at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris.

At the Orange Empire Railroad Museum you can have it anyway you like; steam, electric or diesel. On this Field Trip, we will ride the Pacific Electric and Los Angeles Railway cars.

At the Orange Empire Railroad Museum you can have it anyway you like; steam, electric or diesel. On this Field Trip, we will ride the Pacific Electric and Los Angeles Railway cars.

The Los Angeles Railway (LARy) was the city’s local streetcar system. The streetcars used a yellow paint scheme, so they became known as the Yellow Cars.

The Los Angeles Railway (LARy) was the city’s local streetcar system. The streetcars used a yellow paint scheme, so they became known as the "Yellow Cars".

Climb aboard car No. 418 one of the Blimps, as they came to be known. They operated on PE’s Southern District lines out of downtown Los Angeles. The No. 418 was retired in 1961, following the closure of the last of the former Red Car routes, the line between Los Angeles and Long Beach.

Climb aboard car No. 418 one of the “Blimps”, as they came to be known. They operated on PE’s Southern District lines out of downtown Los Angeles. The No. 418 was retired in 1961, following the closure of the last of the former "Red Car" routes, the line between Los Angeles and Long Beach.

Car No. 665 represents the Los Angeles Railway's largest class of streetcars, the Type B or Huntington Standard. Designed by the L.A. Railway in 1902, this class of wood-bodied city cars bore the name of the system's owner, Henry E. Huntington. This was the type of car that Los Angeles grew up with; at one time there were 747 of them roaming the streets of Los Angeles.

Car No. 665 represents the Los Angeles Railway's largest class of streetcars, the Type B or "Huntington Standard". Designed by the L.A. Railway in 1902, this class of wood-bodied city cars bore the name of the system's owner, Henry E. Huntington. This was the type of car that Los Angeles grew up with; at one time there were 747 of them roaming the streets of Los Angeles.

Archival photos will be projected on the motorcoach video monitors illustrating the locales we visit and how they appeared when the PE operated. We plan to return to the METRO bus plaza at approximately 5:00 p.m.

Wheel spacer

News Archives | Field Trip Archives